Thursday, December 20, 2018
Healthy Version of Alfredo Sauce
Who says Alfredo sauce can’t be healthy? It absolutely can! And if you replace the pasta noodles with spaghetti squash it’s even better
Try the alfredo sauce recipe below & let me know howyou like it!
Makes enough for about 4 people. Takes about 5 minutes to prep and 10 minutes to cook so it’s easy to make anytime!
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup broth vegetable or chicken
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup non fat plain greek yogurt room temperature
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
(1) Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat.
(2) Sprinkle with cornstarch and cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
(3) While whisking, slowly add in broth and milk.
(4) Continue whisking to combine until smooth.
(5) Raise heat to medium high and bring the mixture to a simmer.
(6) Once simmering, simmer for about 2 minutes, until it starts to thickened, again, whisking constantly.
(7) Remove from heat and little by little, whisk in greek yogurt.
(8) Once combined, place back on the heat (medium) and stir in Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
(9) Bring to a simmer and simmer for an additional 2 minutes, whisking constantly.
(10) Serve over pasta OR baked spaghetti squash (directions for spaghetti squash below) immediately. If you let it cool, it will thicken up a bit
If not using immediately, store in airtight container in the fridge.
Nutritional information is for 1/4th of the entire sauce recipe.
*This makes enough sauce for about 1/2 - 1 pound of pasta/ spaghetti squash depending on how saucy you like your pasta!
Baked Spaghetti Squash
(1) Preheat oven to 400. Bake spaghetti squash for about 10-15 min to make it easier to cut.
(2) Split/Cut the spaghetti squash lengthwise and remove the seeds
(3) Drizzle the center of each half of split and seeded spaghetti squash with 1/2 tsp olive oil or use olive oil spray. Using your fingers, rub oil evenly into squash. Season with your favorite no salt seasoning.
(4) Place spaghetti squash in a large baking dish center down, and bake for 1 hour. Spray the baking dish or pan so it doesn’t stick
(5) About 30 minutes into baking, begin your sauce (directions above)
(6) When spaghetti squash is finished (center should be tender and come apart when scraped lightly with a fork), use a fork to scrape out the insides. They will come out looking just like spaghetti.
When the sauce is done, either transfer the squash "noodles" to your sauce and toss to coat the squash thoroughly or pour it over the squash.
When ready, serve and top with fresh parsley for garnish.